Sunday, April 16, 2023

D.C. Cherry Blossoms

 I can check another one off the bucket list.  I have seen the magnificent display of cherry blossoms in Washington DC.  The National Park Service provides a on-line 'Cherry Blossom Watch', which I did 'watch' closely.  The peak bloom was on March 23. I arrived on March 29th and we drove down to DC the next day.  Even a week past 'peak' they were still a sight to behold!

Powder pink buds bloom
Each branch dances in the wind
Touching the blue sky

First we enjoyed lunch with Heather Cooke.  She is a Kenya Keys volunteer and although we have had numerous zoom meetings and phone calls, we had never met.  Since she lives in DC, it seemed like the perfect opportunity.  What an asset to Kenya Keys!  She's articulate, smart, dedicated and hard working! I am glad that she is my friend.

On her recommendation, we drove through the Kenwood neighborhood. It's an upscale neighborhood with quaint and stately homes and a profusion of white blossoms.  
If I had to move to DC, I'd love to live here.
There's a winding creek between tree lined streets.  So picturesque! 
Mary's confidence in driving in DC traffic amazes me.  Because of the Cherry Blossom Festival, there were streets blocked off on the route the GPS had recommended.  Cool as a cucumber, she didn't panic but quickly adjusted.  We even found ourselves in the notorious 'DuPont Circle'  traffic before making it to the tidal basin.
I love this area any time of the year but with the blossom, it was especially beautiful.
And made even more beautiful with this loved faces! 

without you-
the cherry blossoms
just blossoms
The lady who took this photo for us says that she 'almost' got Jackson to smile but at least got a smirk!

Under the cherry blossoms
strangers are not
really strangers
I didn't know that there was also a tulip garden.
I somehow managed to snap a photo with no other people! 

The cherries' only fault:
The crowds that gather 

A fun day and the perfect start to my visit to DC!



No comments:

Post a Comment