Saturday, April 18, 2009

Are you sick of the turkey plate picture?

I went to Arkansas to visit my mother on the 19th of March, planning to stay for 10 days.  The first two days I was there we had a great time!  She did water aerobics while I ran.  We went out to eat at our favorite places with friends and family.  We shopped from one end of the mall to the other for a new swimming suit for her.  On Sunday morning I heard her get up about 7:00 but I didn't get up until about 8:00.  I thought she was just asleep in her chair so I got the paper that she had finished reading, made my breakfast, and sat down at the table to eat.  Suddenly she started making a really weird snoring noise so I went to check on her and found that I couldn't wake her up.  I called 911 and they took her to the hospital where a CAT scan revealed a massive bleed on her brain.  She died the next day...the 23rd.

My mother was 88 but lived alone, drove, raked & mowed her own yard, went to church every Sunday and was active in everything in her little town.  This was a big shock to us all.  The only good thing is that she didn't suffer or have to be in a nursing home or anything like that.  It was just a miracle or a "tender mercy" that I was there when this happened.  I stayed to clean things out and get her house ready to sell.  I'm home now and trying to get back into my normal routine.  It has been a very strange month and still doesn't feel quite real to me!   

6 comments:

  1. Marilyn, I am so sorry to hear about your mother. It was a blessing that you were there but I know how close you always have been with her. Our thoughts and prayers are with you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your loss but I'm happy that you were there for her. What a blessing. I know what you mean about it not feeling real. It still doesn't feel real that my Grandpa Ralph is gone. What a strange thing this whole concept is. I will let my mom know. She's coming next week for 10 days herself to continue to help with cleaning up my Grandpa's stuff.

    Dorothea

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your Mother are both very blessed that you could be there with her. You will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bragged today in church about the amazing hospitality of the Presbyterian church and others in Lonoke. I enjoyed being there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh by the way you have more than 600 visits, congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness. I am so sorry. Losing a parent so quickly like that is such a mixed blessing, thankful they go quickly and don't have to suffer, but so sad. I miss my dad more now that it has been almost a year than I did even at first. What a blessing and miracle that you were there and had spent those last days together.
    Love you, Diana

    ReplyDelete