Friday, April 24, 2009

Mothers

My mother has had this piece of 'pottery' for more than 40 years.  For most of that time it has been relegated to a back bedroom high on a shelf.  When I went to visit her this last time it was prominently displayed in her kitchen window for all the world to see.  I was surprised and asked her about its new position of honor.  She replied that she had always liked it because it was unique and bright and cheery!  Now I have never, ever liked this piece.  In fact I hated it and I'm the one who created it in a junior high art class. I remember that I thought that it was so ugly and that everyone else has done something so much better than mine....that I had no talent...that I was the worst one in the entire class...... 
My mother saw something different.  She saw her daughter that she loved and wanted to encourage.  I still don't like the piece but I love what it means to me now.   I think that is the hardest thing about loosing your mother.  Suddenly you don't have that one person on the earth who loves you no matter what.   Someone who would save an unattractive piece of pottery for 40 years and display it in her front kitchen window!  I hope I have been & will continue to be that kind of cheerleader for my own children! I wonder how many of the other kids from my class have mothers who are still displaying their pottery?  I miss my mother!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post. You are wonderful! I loved seeing the vase and reading your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long as your mother been gone? Loved the sweet tribute to her and her love for you. I can tell that you are just like her and your kids will be saying the same things about you. I agree with your mom...it IS a bright and cheery vase! :)

    ReplyDelete