Sunday, June 7, 2009

Legacy

Early Thursday morning at 7:00 a.m. I took 5 sleepy 15 & 16 year old girls to the mountains for a two day experience called "Legacy". Keep in mind that this was the first day of summer vacation & they had all been to end of the year parties or concerts the night before so 7:00 was EARLY!  Legacy is an annual event  put on by our church, planned by a committee of girls (including one girl from our Ward who left for Legacy at 6:00 a.m.), and run by a group of dedicated unpaid women leaders.  We did service projects, had a fashion show, listened to talks, played silly games, ate so much good food that I may never recover, and made up wacky skits. We also read scriptures, wrote in journals, made goals, and were reminded of who we really are.  Most importantly the girls got to know themselves  and their Savior better as they contemplated the theme, "What Heaven Sees in You".  

One of my girls commented that she was starting the summer on a spiritual high.  I feel the same.  The Young Women theme that we repeat each Sunday says in part, "We will stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places as we strive to live the Young Women's values which are faith, divine nature, individual worth, knowledge, choice & accountability, good works, integrity, and virtue".  My girls (I guess I can call them my girls) really do stand as witnesses and I love them all!  They are the perfect mixture of silly fun, spirituality, kindness, acceptance & they do live those values.  I'm lucky to associate with them!!!  And I know that Heaven sees such beauty & potential in them.

Here's a more serious pose with our wonderful Bishop!

And one more so that you can see how beautiful they are....even after two days with no showers, make up,  curling irons or blow dryers, and suffering from cell phone withdrawal!

FYI - Legacy stands for Laurels Experience Greater Appreciation for Christ in their Youth! 

No comments:

Post a Comment