Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sold!

On Friday I sold my mother's house & somehow that just feels wrong. I can't imagine her not being there. I can't imagine not walking through her door to smell that uniquely comforting, sweet smell that all my children associate with Grandma....a smell of wood smoke and rose potpourri. I picture myself on each of my visits bringing my suitcase into the bedroom and putting my clothes away while she sits on the bed and catches me up on all the news. I miss her. Now a young couple call her house their 'first home' and that does feel right. Life goes on!
People who read my blog know that my mother died in March. What you may not know is that my Aunt Mary died last October. She was my Dad's sister but had been my mother's friend even before my parents got married. They tell me that they had been close friends for 67 years! For the last 30 years since my Daddy died they had been practically inseparable. They shopped together, went out to eat together & saw each other numerous times a day. If you saw one of them anywhere, chances are you saw the other!

At my Aunt Mary's funeral someone, who didn't know my exact connection to my aunt, casually remarked to me that they didn't think 'Bessie Montgomery' (my mother) would last 6 months without Mary. I didn't have any idea that they'd be right! My mother told me that the last 5 months without Mary had been the hardest and loneliest in her life. Thinking of them together now in heaven makes me smile!

Aunt Mary's house recently sold also. I hope the new owners of both of these houses realize that they are being watched over from above by two women who are particular about their houses and especially their yards! I hope the lawns are mowed regularly and the leaves raked promptly and weeds pulled just as they sprout.

I know that Moma & Aunt Mary will rejoice in the 'rightness' of their homes now becoming someone else's home. They would wish the new families all the joy that they have had (for the past 25 years in my mother's case and 39 years in Aunt Mary's) in these homes. Remembering that joy brings me peace!

3 comments:

  1. Sweet reminder about the cycle of life... Those photos are important documention in the histories of those great women. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your sweet thoughts! Your memories of a sweet mother & home are wonderful for me to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss them both so much! We laughed that the two of them "burned up" Kimberly Circle running around together! They were such an example of great friends, and I'm so blessed to have known them both!

    ReplyDelete