Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Spiritual Insights, Brownies, Friends and Fun!

After one week in Portland I flew to Salt Lake for Education Week. Sunday morning Jan and I attended "Music and the Spoken Word". Listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is always an amazing experience and this was no exception. "Music and The Spoken Word" is the world's longest continuously running network broadcast. It is heard on about 2000 radio and TV stations all around the US and Canada. There are 360 members of the choir who are selected after a rigorous audition process and serve without pay. The choir was just inducted into the Radio Music Hall of Fame. Special guests on this particular Sunday were members of the Wasatch and District Pipe band....I love bagpipes!

Sunday afternoon we drove down to Provo, checked into a dorm, and then spent the week attending classes from 8:30 in the morning until 8:30 at night....with a few chocolate mint brownie breaks!!!!

"Get farther away from the Savior and closer to the Mint Brownies", was the direction from the lady who took this picture of us! Those brownies are yummy but the classes did help me feel closer to my Savior. I'm so grateful for the spiritual boost of this fantastic week.
It is so wonderful to see more than 20,000 women, men and youth who take a week from their busy lives to attend BYU Education Week. There are classes on everything from money management to folk dances to scripture study. Two of my favorites this year were "Speaking and Listening to God" and "What the Scriptures Teach Us About Adversity".

I always go with friends that I made in our Ward when we moved to Boise in 1988. So wonderful that even though we don't see each other as often as we would like, when we get together it is just as if we'd always been together! I love my friends.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a great time! I'm glad your move went so smoothly too! Oregon is a beautiful place, and there is so much to do there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to be at Education Week with you! I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you'll be able to share some of the insights you learned. There's nothing like that spiritual shot in the arm to revive you with renewed dedication. And there's nothing like learning it with your dear friends. What a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect post of a perfect week. It was the best! I just enjoyed everything so much this year. Felt so good to reconnect with all of you and Karen and Cammi too. Was the perfect spiritual uplift in everyway for me. Please e-mail me that picture of us. THANKS!!
    Love you...

    ReplyDelete