Sunday, October 10, 2010

Walking in the rain with the ones I love!


All last week we planned and looked forward to a trip to hike on Mt. Saint Helens. The weather has been beautiful for the last couple of months that I've been in Oregon so I think I forgot that it rains here a lot. Since real Oregonians don't let little things like a rain storm keep them indoors we decided to go ahead and go on the planned trip. This was the view of Mt. Saint Helen's that we were anticipating.
And this was the view we got. If you look carefully you can see both sides of the mountain!
Do you remember the eruption on May 18 1980? I do. This is how the mountain looked pre 1980. Notice the trees on the lower slopes.
Isn't that an amazing illustration of the power of Mother Nature? That valley and what appear to be river beds are actually where the lava and mud flowed.

Hiking in the rain wasn't too bad at all and for once there were no crowds on the trails....in fact we had the trail to ourselves.

The colors were stunning.

It's been wonderful to have John here with us. I'm going to miss having someone to entertain me during the days and play with us on the weekends.

He's also an amazing photographer! I think this picture could win a prize!

And here's my attempt at an 'artsy' photo.

2 comments:

  1. Your pics are beautiful. I think your "artsy"one looked great!! Sorry we missed you when you were in town. We were in DC and had a great vacation. Have a fabulous time in India!!! (in 10 days)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a fun walk/hike! It's the best to have kids to play with! Only 10 days to India! Hooray!!! You will love it as you love all your wonderful adventures.

    ReplyDelete