Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A dog under every desk!

When I started volunteering at the Guide Dog School I was told that 'there is a dog under every desk' and it's true. This is what greeted me today when I went into the vet clinic.
That is Jedi, a career change dog, on the left and Nottingham, called Scottie, on the right. He's a retired guide dog who has been sick and in the vet clinic for more than a month. Thankfully he is getting better and will soon be going back to his puppy raiser to live out the rest of his life. When a dog gets too old to guide, if his owner can't keep him, the person who raised him for his first year gets first dibs. I can understand why they would want him back. He's a lovable guy who prefers sitting in your lap! He's a 'lap full' for sure! I'm told that even though they haven't seen their 'puppy raiser' for seven or eight years, the dogs remember them and greet them like long lost friends. I'd love to see that sometime.

5 comments:

  1. I want a dog! You are lucky yu get to work with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you really want a dog? They sometimes have career change dogs or retired guides that need a home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the cutest thing! We would like to get the kids a dog soon. but maybe we should start with one that will be around for awhile, so as not to traumatize them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goldens and labs make great pets...and yes Maggie, you do need one that will be around for a LONG time....like 12+ years. Your dog should be there when you start sending kids to college!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want a dog but a miniature Scottish Terrier. Something more the size of my purse rather than the size of my BIGGEST suitcase. But alas no dogs allowed in our building. Rod so happy me so sad!

    ReplyDelete