Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Safari



For most of our time in Kenya we were hardworking Kenya Keys interns!  But for a couple of days Dr. Liz and I did play 'tourist' as we went on Safari at Tsavo East National Park.  Mbote was a wonderful, knowledgable guide and his smile brightens any day!

Even before we saw any animals I was impressed with the beauty of Africa.  The light is just magical and the sky seems to go on forever!
Pretty quickly that beautiful scenery was made even better with lots of animals. 
Zebras and Giraffes

Baboons The hotel posted warnings to close and latch the windows to avoid unwelcome Baboon guests!
Lions They were quite a long ways away but still exciting to see thanks to binoculars and zoom lens.
This pretty guy is called a Common Waterbuck.  I'd call him a deer with 'uncommon' antlers!

The balcony at our hotel overlooked a large water hole. You could see long lines of animals walking towards a refreshing drink.
Sometimes the place was taken over by Water Buffalo.
Every time I looked at them I was reminded of my high school hair....the famous 'flip'.
Then it would seem to be elephant time and the buffalo would all wander away.
Liz and I loved watching this baby elephant.  His trunk was too short to reach to the water so that he could get a drink.  He just keep trying and trying.  Finally his Mom squirted some water into his trunk.  Very cute!

2 comments:

  1. What amazing pictures! I've loved reading about your trip-- thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't sit down and look at blogs as often as I'd like- I'm glad I read yours today! Your trip to Kenya looks absolutely amazing. What a wonderful adventure! I'd love to do that someday.

    ReplyDelete