Saturday, June 16, 2012

Water in Taru

Women in Kenya spend many hours everyday getting water.  A walk to the water catchment area is a frequent part of a woman's day. After getting water they return home with the jerry cans on their heads walking gracefully while chatting with friends often carrying a baby on their backs.  The African women make it look easy but trust me it is much harder than it looks!  And my can was empty!   

Each morning Agnes and Nancy brought us a jug of warm water so that we could shower.  Warm water in the yellow can, cool water in another, mix them in the red bucket, stand in the green bowl, lather up, pour the warm water over you and try to get clean! Can you imagine washing your hair?  Pretty amusing for sure!  I admit to feeling giddy joy in my warm shower every single day since I returned  home!
After a shower you pour the 'used' water from the green bowl into another bucket so that it can be used to flush the toilet. Of course 'flushing' is only allowed when absolutely necessary. No wasting allowed!  We had some interesting conversations concerning exactly when flushing was necessary! I may have felt even more giddy joy when I could sit on the toilet and flush whenever I wanted to without consultation with 3 other people!

Here I am using the 'washing machine' and 'dryer'!
 Drinking water had to be pumped through a filter and then have chlorine tablets added.
I hope I never take WATER for granted again!

No comments:

Post a Comment