Monday, August 20, 2012

Education Week 2012

I had another wonderful week at BYU's Education Week.  This year my roommate was Brenda.  We have been friends since 1988 but it has been 17 years since we lived in the same ward.  I love that we can just pick our friendship right back up, catch up on our families and mutual friends and talk and talk and talk for hours and hours until the wee hours of the morning!

A few facts from this year:

  • 36 classes taken
  • 116 pages of notes 
  • Only 4 personal goals and 3 seminary goals
  • Got me super excited about teaching New Testament this year
  • Had the exact same lunch for 4 of the 5 days....am I in a rut or what?
  • No ice cream, no fudge
  • Only 1 mint brownie & I ate it on the day we left!
  • 6 hours at the Salt Lake Airport pass quickly with an I pad and a Kindle and a brownie
  • Made a couple of new friends
  • 1st year on the 'elderly lady' first floor of the dorm
  • Favorite 'old' speakers: Michael Wilcox & Scott Anderson
  • Favorite 'new'  speaker: Ron Bartholomew
  • Loved Brother Wilcox's series on people he'd like to meet in heaven....on the list: William Tyndale, CS Lewis, George McDonald, St. Francis of Assisi,  Joan of Arc, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Khadija and Aisha (two of Mohamed's wives), and Charles Darwin...and yes many were amazed that he'd want to meet Darwin or assume that he'd be in heaven!  I hope he writes a book about these people!
  • Fell even more in love with my iPad 
  • Didn't ride the shuttle to or from the far away classes although I admit I was tempted!
  • Only took over a men's bathroom once....there were no men using it and a long line of women for the 3 stalls in theirs....well desperate times call for desperate measures!
  • Went to my very first nutrition class....on cutting carbs, and I walked in eating a bag of goldfish!
  • Also went to my first 'organizing' class....I need to be ruthless and get rid of tons of stuff and she taught a system for doing that!  Now I need to find time to go to Boise and get started!!!!!
Education Week is the perfect ending to a summer that has been super busy and fun.  I love the spiritual pick me up and the chance to recharge my batteries while having a fantastic time with friends.

2 comments:

  1. That's so great that you got to go!! I'm crossing my fingers that I get to go for a day or two next year!

    ReplyDelete