Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Stan the Man

 Our other two 'Foster Guide Dogs' have been retired guides.  First we had 10 year old Jordana for 13 weeks then 13 year old Howie for 2 weeks.  Stan has been our newest addition!  He is an 18 month old dog recently recalled from his puppy raiser home to come to Oregon for training.  Because of a slight bit of 'shoulder lameness' it was decided that he needed to be in a home for 2 weeks of rest. We were the lucky people who got to take care of him.  Now getting a puppy to think that he needed to rest required some doing. He could only go outside to 'take care of his business'....no walks, no exercise at all!  The first week I was gone so he and George hung out by the computer.  Stan enjoyed just relaxing with his bone.  By the time I got back from Education Week he had a bit of 'cabin fever' but was still supposed to rest.  I think we did a pretty good job of keeping him calm and quiet....at least most of the time.  Occasionally his natural puppy exuberance just spilled over and he couldn't help but act like what he is....a PUPPY!  It's a good thing he is naturally very obedient so we could always get him to respond to "Sit" and "Stay".


This morning I took him back to Guide Dogs.  I felt like I was taking my child to boarding school.  I hope he does well in his training and makes it as a guide!

No comments:

Post a Comment