Friday, September 14, 2012

Memory lane

Son-in-law Mark doesn't have the travel bug like the rest of the family but he cheerfully lets Mary go on  trips with us.  This time we decided to head north to Philadelphia by way of Port Deposit, Maryland and Valley Forge.  Philadelphia and Valley Forge make sense for a couple of tourists like us but you probably wonder about Port Deposit, Maryland!

You know that my Daddy was in the navy.  Well he was stationed for two years at Bainbridge Naval Base near Port Deposit.  I went to kindergarten and part of first grade on the base.  Since it was so near where we were headed, we decided to take a small detour.  Realizing that it was 53 years ago that we left the base and that I hadn't been back since, I wondered how accurate my little girl memories would be!  The base closed in 1986 so there was nothing to see on the actual base, plus they had very convincing warning signs on the road leading out to Bainbridge so we settled for a tour of the town.

 I told Mary all that I remembered about Port Deposit.
  • The town was small with the Susquehanna River on one side of the main street and a single row of houses on the other side.
  • Behind the row of houses was what I remembered as a mountain cliff.
  • We went to a Presbyterian church that was downtown.
  • There was a sort of park that had stairs that went up the mountain side.
Guess what?  My memory is pretty good!
This picture was taken near the river, looking across the one street at the one row of houses. The population of Port Deposit is 676!  That is small!
One of the buildings on the narrow main street is the First Presbyterian Church!
And behind the church is the 'mountain side' I remembered!  I'm sure it did appear to be a mountain side to a little girl from the flat lands of central Arkansas.
And right by the church...you guessed it!  Stairs!!!
Is it a sign of dementia that I can remember things from 53 years ago but can't remember why I walked into a room?  Oh well, it was fun to visit 'Historic Port Deposit!"




No comments:

Post a Comment