Friday, September 14, 2012

Valley Forge

I realized on this trip that while I once knew a lot about Revolutionary War history....I've also forgotten a LOT!  Nevertheless we loved exploring Valley Forge.

Replicas of the cabins that General Washington's men built to survive the winter and spring of 1777-78

I don't think I would have enjoyed spending a Pennsylvania winter here. 
Well maybe if I could have been with General Washington in his warm stone house I could have survived.  I've got this admiral, general thing going on!  Martha did live here with her husband.  An interesting fact....Pennsylvania had a law that any slave who stayed in the state for 6 months was automatically freed so General Washington rotated his slaves from Valley Forge to Mount Vernon, Virginia every few months. When he and Martha died all the slaves were freed.
And while I'm dreaming of generals, admirals and stone houses, I 'll add a wish for a piece of furniture like this....

And a built in china cabinet and paneling like this....

No comments:

Post a Comment