Friday, September 14, 2012

Annapolis

I don't like that our daughter lives on the other side of the country.  But I love that she lives in an area full of potential for all kinds of fun excursions.  The first Saturday of my visit Mary, Mark and I headed to Annapolis, Maryland.  Because my Daddy was in the navy I have a soft spot for anything Navy....so the Naval Academy was a natural first stop.  The grounds of the academy are beautiful and I loved seeing  the midshipmen in their summer whites.  All the students live in one fantastically beautiful building.  It is the 2nd largest dormitory in the world.  The largest is in Russia.  Living as a midshipmen would be a bit like living in Versailles. Except that the dorm rooms, though functional, aren't quite palace standards! Oh yeah, and then there is all the studying....they all graduate with engineering degrees.  And the physical challenges and the hazing by upper classmen!  But the common rooms are fit for royalty as the ceiling and chandelier of this room plainly show!   I don't think my dream should be to be a midshipmen but the admiral's wife....or the admiral!

I also liked this reminder for these future naval officers.....
Isn't this an interesting monument in to our submarine forces?
Go Navy!
Then dinner at a crowded, noisy seafood restaurant along the Potomac.  A wonderful day with my favorite daughter and son-in-law!



No comments:

Post a Comment