Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Zebras

After our trip to Africa we decided that the British and South African way of saying zebra sounded much better.  It isn't a zeebra with a long e but a zebra with a short e.  Sounds much nicer!

We stayed in one lodge in a game park run by a very nice husband and wife.  Their two darling little boys acted as bell men and helped us with our luggage.  As we arrived at our cabin the little boy said, "We have a surprise for you.  Do you want to know what it is?" When I told him that I did, he shared the secret with me.  They have a pet zebra!  Well it isn't actually a pet.  For some reason the little guy was kicked out of his herd.  The human mom became his surrogate mom and bottle fed him.  They hope someday he'll go back to his herd.  He isn't kept in a pen but has free range of the whole area.  I was amazed that I got to not only see zebras but pet them!  They are super soft!
Then at our last hotel in Zambia there were zebras grazing on the lawn!  I have never stayed in a hotel with zebra just outside the room before.  Definitely not in Oregon anymore!

1 comment:

  1. What a cute baby zebra so sad it got kicked off its herd I hope it can go back.

    ReplyDelete