Sunday, July 17, 2016

Favorite Things - Photography #2

Today I practiced using manual mode and my flash, learning some interesting things about shadows and reflections and backgrounds as I did.

My photos are of some of my favorite things from our recent travels.

First is my 'Matryoshka Doll' or Russian stacking doll.  George bought this for me on our Black Sea Cruise.  The reason he bought it was that I was seasick in our cabin and it was the last night that the Russian things would be for sale.  I sent him to the shops, which are not his favorite area on a cruise ship, to buy one for me.  I think he did a great job.  She's a beauty!
Then there is my "Vodka Holder" which isn't a real necessity in the Lewis household!  I just thought she was beautiful with such intricate details!  The funny thing is that just after we got home, my visiting teacher brought me a gift of homemade vanilla extract.  Do you know how you make vanilla extract?  You soak vanilla beans in vodka!  I had the perfect place to keep the little bottle until it ripened into delicious vanilla extract!
And from a different part of the world - a carved fisherman, boat, and fish trap from Inle Lake in Burma.  A little boy followed our group around for an hour or more trying to sell this little memento.  We all kept trying to get him to go away with many polite "No thank yous." Finally, just as we were getting on the boat to leave, I took pity on his sad little face and bought it for a whole $1.  Now it is one of my favorite keepsakes from that trip!
While in Zanzibar I looked at this Masai mask for days in the hotel shop knowing I wanted it but not being sure whether I wanted it badly enough to spend the money.  Finally as we were leaving I decided that I did want it, only to discover that the store was closed.   Luckily I mentioned this to the receptionist as we were checking out and, guess what, they opened the store just for me.  Now I love the memories it brings back!
Last, again from Africa, my Zulu basket.  Supposedly these baskets are so sturdy that they can hold liquid. George and I do know that it is sturdy enough to survive the trip from South Africa to the USA in our checked baggage.   We stuffed it with our dirty clothes and put it in our largest bag.  A perfect fit!   Such fun memories of traveling the world!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment