Saturday, November 4, 2017

The Big Apple


Nope I'm not talking about New York but Almaty, Kazakhstan the birthplace of the apple.  The name "Alma-Ata" literally means 'father of apples' and genetic testing has shown the apples that grow wild on the slopes of the Tien Shan mountains in Kazakhstan and China are the apple's true ancestor. 

And speaking of the 'big apple' my massage therapist who grew up in Almaty told me that she remembers the apples that grew wild on her grandparents farm as being as big as a small melon, super sweet and  juicy.  Our guides confirmed this and said that no one knows why the apples stopped growing to this large size.  
There were many people selling apples at the train station.  
Plus some cute girls in traditional dress giving us apples. 
A salesman sampling the wares! 
We also got to drive up into the mountains after a recent snowfall to see a beautiful ice skating rink and enjoy all the views.  Didn't see any apple trees that day! 
I also got to make a wish by putting my hand on this special, magical book.  I won't tell what my wish was....I think it is universal that if you tell a wish it won't come true! 
And FINALLY we got to get on the train!  We were all pretty excited about that! 


No comments:

Post a Comment