Monday, January 8, 2018

Cancer Update

It's time for a cancer update from this 'Meddie'...that is what people with Medullary Thyroid Cancer call themselves.  About 3.4 % of all cancers are thyroid cancer and only 3% of those are Medullary so we are a pretty exclusive club!  Like I've said before it is the club no one hopes to join!

Once again the phrase, "No news is good news' applies. I met with my doctor in November and had blood work, neck ultrasound and a CT scan all of which were in his words 'unremarkable'.  My calcitonin numbers have never gone down to 0 so they never will but they are still low enough to keep both my doctor and me -  HAPPY!

I have almost complete range of motion from my right shoulder again -  16 months post surgery.   There are still numb areas on that side of my neck and shoulder and I understand  that the feeling probably will never return but that isn't a big deal to me.  I feel absolutely fine and have my normal energy.  Truthfully I've never had any symptoms from the cancer itself, only from the after effects of the surgery.

I know that there are no good cancers but so far this one isn't too bad.  It is mostly the word CANCER that is scary but I don't dwell on it and just try to live each day with joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment