Wednesday, January 3, 2018

President Thomas S. Monson

The news of President Monson's death did not come as a surprise to anyone.  He has been in poor health for quite awhile and he is 90 years old!  I really didn't feel too sad since I could immediately picture a happy reunion with his beloved wife Frances.

President Monson radiated joy.  He definitely practiced what he preached.  An eternal optimist, his life was dedicated to making the lives of others joyful.  There are endless stories of his years of service.  Each person that he met, no matter what their station in life, was meant to be loved.
From wiggling his ears during a conference talk to singing in the hallways of the church office building, he was a great example of finding JOY!

All day I've been reading stories about President Monson.  I am lucky to also have one to share.  When George's Uncle Ben Lewis died, three members of the Quorum of the Twelve came to the funeral.  Elder Oaks, Elder Holland and President Monson, who was then a counselor in the First Presidency, came into the room just as we were about to have the family prayer.  Naturally everyone in the room wanted to talk to them.  When my turn came, he shook my hand warmly and said, "You have the bluest eyes.  Are you Scandanavian?"  I said, "No Irish" and he laughingly said, "Well can you sing?  All the Irish can sing!"  Then he moved on to the next person.  I will always treasure the sweet, loving way that he spoke to me, that he took a few seconds to say something kind and personal.  He extended his 'loving heart' to me....and to every person in that crowded room.

.
Thomas S. Monson lived the 'very essence of the gospel' with 'Jesus Christ' as his exemplar
I want to share a few of my favorite quotes from the talks he has given at General Conference over the last 50 years!  
This one was a favorite of my seminary class.
I find comfort in this assurance from a Prophet of God.
And I feel a lot of peace from this one.
This one also makes me feel so happy and loved. 
These next two quotes help me have the courage to do my best to choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong.
President Monson has blessed my life.  President Russell Nelson will be the first prophet who was called into the Quorum of the Twelve during my time as a member of the LDS church.  I have absolute faith that Heavenly Father is in perfect charge of the timing of these changes and that all will be well.





No comments:

Post a Comment