Friday, June 1, 2018

Mary

I have been blessed with great travel buddies!  Of course, George is my #1 greatest travel companion.  John and Katherine add a lot of fun to many of our trips.  The roommates I've had on my trips to Kenya have become good friends...Dr. Liz and Dr. Carolyn.  I'll never forget Joseph, the Kenya Keys director in Kenya, commenting to Rinda about her two friends, speaking of Dr. Liz and me.  "Your friends are very fine.  Dr. Liz is verrrry smart and Marilyn is most jovial"  We've laughed over that one for years as I try to be smart and Liz tries to be jovial!!!

For my Madagascar trip I had an absolutely perfect buddy - daughter Mary!  I can't express how much fun we had and what a trooper Mary was as we had adventure after adventure!
From attending a District Conference in Antsirabe, where we sat for multiple hours in church meetings in Malagasy, a language neither of us understood...
To flying across Madagascar on an 'Air Madagascar' propeller plane
 Mary was ready for anything! 
Even driving for 9 hours on this road... 
Yes, this is a road, not a river.  See the sticks that the locals used to show us the best place to drive!
Even the somewhat sketchy ferry crossing didn't phase her! 
Dug out canoes with no life jackets - bring it on! 
Long hot hikes in the Tsingy -  
Still smiling! 
Friendly and fun to all the cute little kids 
Chatting with interesting older gentlemen....yes, that is my girl! 
Posing for yet another photo....no complaints! 
And shopping buddy extraordinaire! Even if I did have to talk her into actually buying stuff!  Somehow that price tag of 50,000 ariary just sounded too expensive until I reminded her that was the equivalent of  $15.75!
Thanks to Mark for sharing her with me for 2 weeks!  How will we ever top this adventure??? 





1 comment:

  1. Looks like you and Mary had such a great time. That's wonderful that you had that trip together. Several years ago, Starr and I traveled past Madagascar to Reunion Island to visit my French friend. It is wonderful to have those memories.

    ReplyDelete