Thursday, September 19, 2019

Philly Sightseeing!

The temple was the most important part of our weekend in Philadelphia but we did find time to do some sightseeing as well.

We visited the Independence Seaport Museum. The best part was exploring several navy ships, including a submarine.  I can't even imagine what it must have been like to live in this extremely small ship with a couple of hundred others.  I don't have claustrophobia but I think I would develop it.  Jackson didn't seem to mind at all! I've been looking at my Daddy's navy records and learning about the ships upon which he served.  That made this even more interesting.  He served on several battleships and a couple of carriers but never a submarine.
Mary, her sister-in-law Amanda, and I walked down to the Philadelphia Museum of Art.  I couldn't resist running up the 72 'Rocky' steps. 
I ran up twice first with Amanda and then with Mary!  I was definitely 'feeling stronger'! 
Jackson looks excited to visit Independence Square! 
The rest of us enjoyed seeing the room where the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were signed.
Independence Hall 
And of course, you can't miss seeing the liberty bell! 
Good photo of Mary and me but we blocked the bell!  Oh well! I don't know why we didn't move over to the side or why the photographer didn't remind us to move. 
Just before we headed back to Harper's Ferry we went to Sonny's for traditional Philly cheesesteak sandwiches.  The place looked just like my stereotypical idea of a Philly restaurant. It reminded me of the famous "soup nazi' episode of Seinfeld.  Not the attitude of the workers (thank goodness) but just the way it looked and the big city feel.
The sandwich didn't disappoint!

It was a fun day playing tourist in Philadelphia!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment