Thursday, September 5, 2019

Normal

The last month since my birthday has just been NORMAL - not particularly exciting but not bad either.  My friend Linda says that sometimes in her prayers she is just thankful for NORMAL!  I agree.  Life is good even when it is just normal!

So here are a few of the normal things that have kept me busy during the month of August:

I've been going through boxes of photos and memorabilia from my mother's house.  My goal is to label and organize all these treasures so that when we are gone, the kids won't wonder who all these people are!
Here I am with my cousins June and Joy.  I couldn't say "Js" so they were Lune and Loy to me!

I also found some handwritten recipes from my Grandma Boyle.  I love her very artistic handwriting and the fact that the recipes were written on scraps of paper and even envelopes.  I kept one for myself that happened to have my two favorites of her recipes written on the same page.  Chicken Salad and Pineapple Ice Box Cake.  You know the recipe is old when it is has the phrase "Ice Box"! Someday I'll frame it.  The rest I sent to my Boyle cousins.

                                
I also found this telegram that my Grandma sent to my parents after my cousin Martha Jane Depriest was born.    I was happy to send this to Janie.  It's a great early 70th birthday for her!

                                  
My mother was a Lonoke High School Basketball player! This must have been in 1938. Moma is on left end of the middle row.  Her sister Clarice is holding the ball.  Clarice is the mother of little Martha Jane, whose birth was announced in the telegram.
                                  
Our friends from Portland, Nancy and Chuck Harrington, spent the night with us on their way from their cabin in Minnesota back home.  It was fun to visit with them and anticipate our next trip together.  We've been to 28 countries together on 6 continents and will add to that count in March 2020.
George and Matt started high school soccer.  Matt coaches at Centennial High School and George is a referee at games all over the valley.
George and I went to a very interesting life sized replica of the Tabernacle of Moses.  Even though it was a very hot day, we learned a lot and thoroughly enjoyed our walk through ancient history.
                                                  
                                        
To be honest, I can not look at the Ark of the Covenant without thinking of Indiana Jones and the Nazis! 
I am amazed at how quickly traditions develop on our Sunday night dinners with Monica, John and Isabella.  We all sit in the same chairs.  Isabella and I go and get the ice cream out of the freezer and she makes sure we have all the condiments we are supposed to have - whipped cream, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce and sprinkles.  And we have to squirt some cream directly into her mouth!  
After dessert we always go for a walk and she loves to run with me.  I have to smile at her weekly announcement that "two little girls are running".  Don't know what makes me happiest - that she calls me a girl or calls me little or that I can run! 
We always stop at this rock so that she can pose for pictures. 
And we end our evening at the Seven Oaks school playground where we play hide and seek and also enjoy the playground equipment.  
I recently read an article about making memories with grandchildren that said in part, " "I'm struck by how deeply he knows me and how he's developed a set of things he does with me that he remembers. If I'm willing to follow his lead it demonstrates to him that I'm there for him and that our relationship is something he can count on.  It's a way to build a secure attachment."  I surely hope that is true!

Johnny and Monica went to an Saturday evening church meeting and Bella stayed with us.  So fun!  A trip to Chick-fil-a and then the park before going home to read lots of stories.  I love that she loves for me to read to her.  

 She also recently learned to ride a trike!  
 Monica tried her hand at making homemade jam!  It was a big success and we get to enjoy the results!  Goodbye low carb diet! 

 I've been doing a lot of walking in the foothills to build up my endurance for a long hike at Zion next month.  The Boise foothills are dry and brown and about as different from my walks in Portland as anything could be.  Still beautiful in its own way.  Today I had this little buddy cross my path.  Good thing I'm not scared of snakes!

So let's hear it for NORMAL!  September is going to be anything but normal.  With a trip to Philadelphia, getting ready to lead a team of volunteers on a trip to Kenya, a trip to Portland for my doctor appointment and then finally flying off to Kenya with loaded suitcases, it is going to be hectic but oh so fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment