Thursday, July 8, 2021

Hikes

Before I met George I don't believe that I had ever been on a hike, at least not a serious or long hike.  My first official hike was at George's Dad's ranch when we got engaged in June of 1975.  Since then, I have hiked many miles over varying terrain in several different countries.  I love being out in nature and accomplishing the goal of finishing a hike. 

On this California trip we enjoyed two beautiful hikes.   

The first was to Eagle Falls and Eagle Lake by Lake Tahoe.  It is a fairly easy 1.9 mile out and back trail that has waterfalls, creeks, a lake, granite peaks and lush vegetation.  The only negative is that the parking lot is way too small for this popular hike. We were lucky to find a spot on the road.

Eagle Lake

Rule following me was somewhat worried because we hadn't gotten a 'permit'. Turns out that we weren't the only ones.  I think that the permit is only needed if you go into the wilderness past Eagle Lake.
There are lots and lots of stairs and I do believe many of them were made for giants, or at least people who are taller than I am.
Our next hike was at Lassen Volcanic Park, which I admit I had never even heard of.  Again we had a problem finding a parking spot to go on the Bumpass Hell hike to the largest geothermal area in the park.  This time there weren't even any spots on the road so we decided to go on to Cold Boiling Lake and try hiking from there to Bumpass Hell.  

This was a 5 mile out and back trail with a 900 ft. elevation gain....lots and lots of UP  and UP and Up but we made it and enjoyed it very much.
Cold Boiling Lake is not too impressive as far as 'boiling' but it is very pretty!

The views from the trail were simply beautiful!
And we did finally make it to Bumpass Hell - the geothermal area, which was a kind of mini-Yellowstone. The area must have gotten its name from the smell of sulfur.  Isn't that what hell is supposed to smell like?



Still thinking of Larry, I did a bit more 'nature photography'.  First a religious chipmunk at his altar.

Then a very cooperative yellow bellied marmot or rock chuck.  He was below the rock and I politely asked him to get on top of the rock, which he did and then posed beautifully!  I think he has aspirations to be in National Geographic.  He definitely showed me his best side!!!!
I totally agree with this advice from John Muir


































No comments:

Post a Comment