Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Because It Mattered To Her

I am so lucky to have quite a few tangible mementos that remind me of my parents. One of my most treasured is this set of bowls. I hardly dare use them because I am so afraid that one will get broken. When I was a child, I distinctly remember dinners when my mother's delicious black eyed peas, or chicken salad or 5 cup salad was served in one of these bowls. However it is another memory that makes them precious to me. My father was the gentlest of men. He never liked to make any kind of trouble or create any sort of disturbance. I am sure that is why this particular incident made such an impression on me. My mother had used one of these bowls to take a meal to a family in our church who had just welcomed a new baby. After several weeks, the bowl had not been returned even after my mother had asked to have it back. A couple more weeks passed and still the bowl was not returned and my mother was upset. My reserved, unassuming Daddy drove over to the home and asked for the bowl. I know this was not easy for him to do as he didn't like to make waves but he did and returned with the bowl. Why did it matter to Daddy? It was just a bowl. It mattered to him because it mattered to my mother. What a perfect example of love! And what a valuable lesson for an impressionable young girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment