Sunday, February 20, 2022

Birds

I admit that I have a rather lengthy bucket list.  Since I'm not getting any younger, I decided I should try to check a few things off.  For several years I've wanted to learn more about birding. Yes I know that birding is often considered a nerdy pastime of list-keepers and early risers but did you know that 70.4 million Americans say that they go outside to watch birds? Birding has become one of the fastest growing hobbies in North America.  And I AM a bit of a nerd when it comes to keeping lists but I am most definitely NOT an early riser.  I won't be making lists of many 'early birds'. 

 I enrolled in the National Geographic Guide to Bird Watching in North America.  The teacher is James Currie, a South African expert with a charming accent!  I love it and I've already learned a lot.  Like many things, the more I have learned the more I realize how much I don't know, but at least I have gotten started. Best of all I've been able to practice the skills I've learned.  

The ponds in our neighborhood are home to many Canadian Geese and Mallards but I've seen three new duck species in the last week - and yes I have added them to my 'Life List'.  You can call me a nerd if you want to.

First the very showy 'Hooded Merganser'.

The female's 'hair-do' and wide eyes give a perpetually surprised look.  

The male merganser is a show stopper for sure.  They are diving ducks so that is fun to watch.  Oh, how I hope they stay around and raise their babies here but I suspect they are migrating through.
Next 'ring necked ducks'....I haven't figured out why they have that name.
And finally the Wigeons.  I've seen these many times before but never knew what they were called.  Already my class is helping me!
I found this cute quote on line and thought I'd share.  Our neighborhood recently outlawed feeding the water fowl so the 'bread' isn't forthcoming anymore here in Lexington Hills.  I know it is healthier but it was so fun to watch the ducks come swimming to us like racers when we threw out the first crumbs. 










No comments:

Post a Comment