Thursday, October 13, 2022

Mombasa Tusks

During my previous visits to Mombasa, I have only gotten quick glimpses of the Mombasa Tusks as we drove by.  On this trip it seemed appropriate that we made a stop in honor of Queen Elizabeth whose funeral was the day before. 

The Mombasa Tusks were originally constructed in 1952 by the British Administration of the Colony and Protectorate of Kenya, commemorating the visit of Princess Elizabeth.  It was during this visit in 1952 that King George VI died and Princess Elizabeth became Queen Elizabeth.  Kenyans seem rather proud of this moment in their history when the princess became the queen while on a visit to their country.


I am glad that I could be there so soon after Queen Elizabeth's funeral.
And that I could share the moment with Mwanaisha, the Kenya Keys librarian.



No comments:

Post a Comment