Friday, October 21, 2022

Rwandan Genocide Memoriał

 I am almost ashamed to admit that I have very few memories of news reports about what happened in Rwanda in 1994 when about one million men, women and children were murdered.  I don't believe our western press gave us very accurate details about what went on.  I do remember seeing the movie Hotel Rwanda and being horrified.  I also read a couple of books about this atrocity.  I reread one of them Left to Tell to give me some context before we visited the Genocide Memorial in Kigali.

Truthfully I was a bit apprehensive about visiting this site but I also knew that I couldn't miss it on our visit to Rwanda.  It was definitely sobering.


250,000 people are buried here in mass graves.
The graves are under the concrete.


The museum describes the events leading up to 1994 as well as graphic details of what happened.  The actual genocide lasted only 100 days but is one of the most notorious modern genocides.  During this period between April and July, nearly one million ethnic Tutsi and moderate Hutu were killed as the International community and UN peacekeepers stood by. 

Photos weren't allowed inside but I found this one on the internet to give you a taste of what it was like to visit.  These are photos of some of the people who were killed by their neighbors and former friends.


It is worth reading through these 10 steps to genocide to be cautious of some of the polarization that is happening in our society right now.
While the museum was unbelievably heartbreaking, I take comfort in how well Rwanda is doing right now only 28 years later.  It is actually illegal to ask anyone their tribe.  Before 1994, a tribe was designated on every national ID card.
The economy is growing rapidly as is evidenced by all the construction.
Tourism is booming.
The city and countryside are clean.
The people are friendly and seem happy.

I love this symbol at the museum.
It stands for UBUMUNTU or GREATNESS of HEART.  In context of the genocide, this word refers to those who selflessly risked their lives to rescue or help those who were being persecuted.  
We can all be champions of humanity by standing against division wherever we live.  
This sentiment gives me hope.

Kwibuka means to remember.  
This made me think of being at Masada in Israel where the motto is
NEVER AGAIN.
Let that be be true in Rwanda and throughout the world.











No comments:

Post a Comment