Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Porters

 After our time in Taru working on educational programs for Kenya Keys, it was an easy decision to hire one of the 'porters' to help us on our gorilla trek because these young people use the money they make for education. It was a win-win! At the staging area a group waited to see if they would be hired that day to carry backpacks and help hikers.  The rangers make it easy for us as there is a rotation system so that everyone has a chance to get the extra income occasionally. 

Nicholas was invaluable to me.  He not only carried my backpack and heavy camera, he helped me on the steep parts and as we crossed streams.  Coincidently, he was a high school soccer player whose team had won the Ugandan High School Championship.  I hope that I helped him a little to achieve his dream of going to the university to study statistics.

Agnes was George's porter.  She was earning money to pay her 5 year old daughter's school fees.  We saw so many children walking to school as we drove up to the National Forest.  Some of them walk more than 10 miles on those narrow mountain roads.  I hope her 5 year old doesn't have to walk too far.
Agnes and Nicholas certainly helped make our trek easier.  I hope that our contributions help them achieve their dreams.









No comments:

Post a Comment