Monday, May 17, 2010

Chuck E. Cheese

Our family has enjoyed many a fun birthday party and family night at Chucky Cheese Pizza or, as it used to be called, Showbiz Pizza. Last Monday was another fun time there when Mary and I took the family from Somalia that I have been tutoring for an 'end of tutoring' celebration. They live about a block from the place but had never been. At first they were a bit unsure what to do but as soon as they figured out that the games gave you tickets that could be redeemed for prizes they were hooked!

Halima specialized in the basketball game!


The two little girls enjoyed the rides and baby Obama just liked looking around! He really liked Mary! Actually all the kids liked Mary. Children have always liked her. She is like my Daddy in that respect.



Baby Obama was only six weeks old when I started working with them. Now he is a cuddly little chunk who loves pizza! So cute!

I walked them home and we took one final picture on their steps.

Then the Mom, Bahati, said something to me in her language and Halima translated. She said for me 'not to ever forget their family and to come and visit them sometime." Not to worry! I'll never forget them. Getting to know them was a sweet experience and one I'll always treasure.


4 comments:

  1. I'm sure you made a huge impact in their lives that will be felt for a long time. You've had an experience that most people won't ever be able to. Love the pictures. This is so like you...give of your time and talents and then call it a blessing to you. What an example you are to me!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot...do they live here permanantly or is it just a short term thing for them? If you travel to Bahati's home land to visit I call dibbs on being your travel companion...or at least your suitcase carrier!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are permanently living here...and Tami, it was a job. I got paid a little bit to tutor them. I'm not that kind and giving! I'd love to go on a trip with you any time! I can have my suitcase packed in about 15 minutes. Just name the place and tell me when to be at the airport.

    ReplyDelete