Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Changes

Since there is no paid ministry in our church we each have responsibilities or callings to help with the work. In my life in the church I have been called to do lots of different things - from typing a monthly newsletter to teaching Sunday School to running the nursery to being the president of the women's organization to being a cub scout leader. In Spain I taught music to the children, which is amazing since I don't really speak Spanish or sing very well. For the past 2+ years I have had the most fun calling of all as I've been President of the Young Women's organization. This program is for the teenage girls ages 12 until High School graduation. We have weekly Wednesday night activities and Sunday lessons.

Let me show you some of the things I've done to prove that this is the best calling ever!

I've been bowling with some 'sassy ladies'!

I've learned to cook Mexican food!

I've been on several 'snipe hunts'!


I've hiked to beautiful mountain lakes!
I've had an invigorating early morning swim in a very cold river!

I've learned that you never know what what new personalities might show up at camp!
I've watched girls cheerfully give service! Here they are making birthday bags for homeless children.

I've learned to make duck lips!

I've watched several thousand youth 'dance like nobodies watching"!

I've felt loved when I returned from my mother's funeral to find a 'heart attack' on my front door!

And I don't have pictures of the most important, faith promoting, testimony building activities & lessons. I've taught these girls and I've been taught by them.
Aren't my girls beautiful?

Sadly, no calling lasts forever and this last Sunday I was released and a new YW President was called. She'll be a wonderful blessing in these girls lives. I'll miss them but they are in good hands!

Each Sunday in our Young Women Opening Exercises we 'stand for truth and righteousness' and recite the YW theme which is:
We are daughters of our Heavenly Father
who loves us and we love him.
We will stand as witness of God
at all times, and in all things, and in all places
as we strive to live the Young Women values which are:
Faith
Divine Nature
Individual Worth
Knowledge
Choice and Accountability
Good Works
Integrity
and Virtue.
We believe as we come to accept and act upon these values
we will be prepared to strengthen home and family,
make and keep sacred covenants
receive the ordinances of the temple
and enjoy the blessings of exaltation.

I have been blessed by my association with these wonderful young women. They are great examples to me and to all with whom they come in contact. I am thankful for them and for all the experiences of these last 2 years and 10 months.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on a job well done. I've been meaning to write to you, I was just called as the first counselor in our YW presidency! I need your email or phone number so we can talk/write sometime. Does my mom have it? I'm not sure. Hope you're doing well with your transition!

    ReplyDelete