Thursday, June 17, 2010

Pleasure #2

#2 Don't buy boxed sets of DVDs. Economist Tyler Cowen says that much of the joy we get from our purchases lies in the experience of seeking them out, getting them home, and opening them up. If you receive 18 DVD's in one package, you'll use up the buzz all at once. Buy them one at a time and space out the pleasure.

Is this true for you? I'm not sure that it really is completely true for me. I definitely get pleasure from shopping and finding just the right thing....jeans that fit, the perfect piece of jewelry, something I needed for the kitchen....but I think I just get a bigger buzz of pleasure when I come home with three pair of great jeans as opposed to three separate trips to the mall to buy jeans three times....with three little pleasure buzzes.

Now to DVD's...I just joined Netflix and I love it. I get a lot of pleasure when I open the mailbox and there is my next DVD. Currently I'm working my way through the 2nd season of the TV show 24. When the last episode of the DVD is over, I'm sure I'd get pleasure from having the next one sitting right there so that the suspense wouldn't kill me for several days! Would that pleasure be more than the buzz I get when I send one back & then get the Email message that the new one is on the way?
Hmm...I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure that if I had the whole series at one time I'd spend twenty four hours watching 24!

2 comments:

  1. We love that show. We got hooked on it in China and I loved that we could have the entire 4 or 5 seasons all at once. I hope you continue to love them all as much as we did!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right about the high of finding just the right thing... I do, however, love those boxes of my favorite shows sitting on the shelf. Like a present just waiting to be opened... aren't we funny creatures?!

    ReplyDelete