Sunday, June 20, 2010

Pleasure #3

#3 Make the bath as hot as you can stand it. Psychologist Paul Rozin has argued that people get a kick from "benign masochism" - that is, controlled exposure to low-level discomfort (think spicy chili peppers and saunas). Maybe we love the endorphin rush. Or just the delightful contrast when we ultimately escape from the pain. Regardless, it pays to pamper yourself occasionally with a bit -but just a bit- of suffering.

As I thought about this, I immediately remembered this:
Yep, I ran another 5K! I have asked myself why at this age I would decide for the very first time in my life to try and be a runner. I think it is mostly just to prove to myself that I'm not THAT old and that I can discipline myself to do something that is difficult for me.

And it does feel so, so good to cross that finish line! And it felt even better when I looked at my watch to see that I was 3 minutes faster than last race.

The byline for this race was "I run for champagne and chocolate". In my case I ran for the
  • the controlled exposure to low-level discomfort
  • the endorphin rush
  • the delightful contrast when I ultimately escaped from the pain & crossed the finish
  • chocolate
  • water
  • a cute champagne glass
And I want to do it again!

2 comments:

  1. You look so good! When you run your next one Let me know if you want a running partner. It would be fun to run with you. I'm loving your series of pleasure posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You haven't posted this yourself, so I will do it for you -- you came in 2nd in your age group! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete