Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Pleasure #4

Keep your child's baby shoes in your desk at work. You know how you keep a bag of almonds in your drawer in case you need an energy boost in the afternoon? Place something emotionally resonant there as well for the times when your mood needs a quick lift. Stash a few objects that are connected with treasured experiences - say that 1997 vacation to Barcelona- and occasionally take a moment to pick up one of these items and look at it closely. Elation is sure to follow.

I definitely do this. I have a few Spanish coins that I keep in the deep recesses of my closet. Every time I do a thorough cleaning of the closet I find them, look at them, remember our 5 amazing years in Barcelona and then just kind of randomly toss them back in to be found again later. In one of my cookbooks I have an order form from the door to door frozen food salesman that came to our house in Barcelona. When I use that cookbook I can just taste the delicious frozen garlic bread that I would buy from him. Inside one of my desk cabinets, I have a couple of pictures of my little kids. Those always bring a smile to my face. I love these quick easy little moments of elation! Anybody else do this?

No comments:

Post a Comment