Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Another adventure with Mary!

Enjoyed a wonderful visit with my #1 daughter!  Spring in West Virginia is almost as pretty as spring in Oregon!  But nothing can possibly beat spending time with Mary!
We took a short trip to Williamsburg, Virginia. While there we stormed the British Governor's Palace to protest his taking all the gun powder leaving the colonist (and soon to be revolutionists) without weapons.
 The British Governor was not amused.

We stood in the crowd as the Declaration of Independence was read on the steps of the courthouse.  It was entertaining to talk to the 'colonists' in the crowd who were so worried about the coming war with Great Britain.  One lady turned to me and said, "I am so afraid. I have 3 sons and they will want to fight for Independence. Do you have sons?" When I replied that I did, she said, "We don't know that the the French and Spanish will fight with us." I told her I was pretty sure they would welcome any chance to fight the British.
Our favorite speaker was Patrick Henry. The man who portrayed him was just excellent.  I was amazed at the depth of his knowledge.  I feel like I really know the man Patrick Henry.  Also I was impressed with the questions the crowd asked him.  Lots of intelligent, well read people there!
 We watched a slave couple 'jump the broom', which means that they got married.
Plus we had some great food at the taverns in the colonial area.
Our smart phones didn't quite fit the 'Colonial' theme though!
I'm so glad I have a daughter who loves to travel and a son-in-law who approves of our 'Mom-daughter' adventures!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment