Thursday, January 1, 2015

By the numbers!

A couple of 'significant numbers' from 2014

I indexed just over 126, 000 names last year!  My goal was 100,000 so I'm pretty happy with that.

If you haven't heard of indexing, let me explain.  For many years our church has photographed genealogical records from all around the world.  These have been available on microfilm at Family History centers.  After their conversion to a digital form, beginning in 2006, volunteers like me started making indexes to the records.  That means that many of the records are now freely searchable on line.  Since it's beginning this unprecedented crowdsourcing effort has produced more than one billion searchable records.
I am just one of hundreds of thousands of indexers from all around the world.  To quote from the Family Search Website, "Through this selfless effort, millions of people worldwide have found information and discovered stories about their ancestors".  So if you are interested in family history, take a look at familysearch.org!  You might find that long lost great grandfather!

1,000,000 Delta miles....George achieved that milestone this year.  That is a LOT of time spent in an airplane.  More than 40 times around the world!
I'm glad that I got to take some of those trips with him.  And I'm thankful for his years with HP since they paid for a good number of those miles!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment