Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Just a Normal Wednesday

Every Wednesday I 'go to the dogs'!  That is my day to volunteer at the Oregon campus of Guide Dogs for the Blind.  Several people have asked me what I do out there so I thought I should share my typical Wednesday.

In the morning I volunteer in the vet clinic.  My tasks are many and quite varied.

I file and keep up with the inventory of supplies.
I clean.  Anyone with one or two dogs knows how much dog hair they shed.  Now imagine a multitude of dogs in and out all day.  Yep, that is a LOT of dog hair.  Since it is a vet clinic a dog might be sick so we have to work hard to kill germs too.
I have also learned how to wrap surgical instruments to get them ready to put in the autoclave.
This is a pack for a modified ovarian hysterectomy. (modified because they are now done laproscopically)  Inside this wrap are all those instruments arranged for the doctor's convenience during the next operation.
Sometimes I ignore huge mountains of laundry like this.....
to spend time with sweet little dogs like this one!
He's a puppy who was neutered yesterday and was waiting for his family to come pick him up.  He won't in pain but just didn't want to be alone.  I tried to convince him that he didn't need me to hold his bone; that he could manage that himself but he thought it was so much nicer to have me right there with him.  The laundry could wait!

Cuddling dogs coming out of surgery or waking up from sedation after X-rays is one of the perks of being a Vet Clinic Volunteer!  It's a tough job but somebody has to do it!

In the afternoon I'm a 'K9 Cruiser', fancy language for a dog walker.  I go in one of the kennels and am greeted by this:
Lots of expectant hopeful faces!  "Please, please pick me!"  "I need a walk today".  I try to pass them all by without making eye contact.  In the center of the kennel is the 'workroom/office'.  
There I find a list of dogs approved for cruising.  The 'Canine welfare technicians' or the CWTs, in conjunction with the trainers, have decided who is on the list.  Usually it is dogs who are waiting to start training, career changed dogs, or retired or boarding guides.  So I get the lucky dog, put on his collar and off we go.  Today I walked 6 dogs in the sunshine but I have walked in the rain and sleet and wind!  The dogs don't care so you just learn to dress accordingly!
When I come back to the kennels these little heads all pop up.....
I think they are just hoping I'll take them next!

I love my 'Dog Day' Wednesdays!!! 







1 comment:

  1. So fun to see & read what you do every Wednesday volunteering. Such cute dogs!

    ReplyDelete