Thursday, July 20, 2017

Falling for #33 and Meeting #34



Foster Guide Dog #33 was recovering from some health concerns at our home, just waiting to go back into training.  Unfortunately for me, his interest in other dogs was a bit obsessive.  A quick, strong lunge to make friends with a passing dog resulted in my ever so dramatic flight through the air and a not particularly graceful landing on my nose and knee. My walking companions were horrified at all the blood.  I was just thankful that I didn't break my wrist or nose or land totally on my head.  My neighbor had a similar experience with her dog that resulted in what they call a FOOA break - falling on outstretched arm.  She had to have surgery.  I decided to not complain too much about my swollen nose and wounded pride! 

I left #33 at Guide Dogs on Wednesday so he can continue his training but I picked up #34.  This handsome fellow (the one on the ground, not the one in the blue shirt!!!!)  is a working guide dog who is being boarded at the campus but wasn't enjoying life in the kennel.  While excellent care is taken of these dogs, there is no place like a home!  Even a foster home!!!  We'll have him for a couple of weeks.  George and I feel so lucky to have so many furry friends in our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment