Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Old Friends

I have to admit that the thought of decorating the house for Christmas was not appealing to me at all.  I had just barely finished going through boxes and putting things on shelves, a LOT OF THINGS!  Delving into the mountain of boxes labeled "Christmas" did not seem like a fun way to pass my time but since it is Christmas and my family does like the decorations, I dove in!  And it was surprisingly fun!  Really like meeting old friends since most things had been stored here in Eagle for the last 8 years!

I am so glad that I decided to decorate.  Although I know that Christmas isn't about 'things', these much loved items are so full of memories and joy that they definitely bring the right spirit!
First my beautiful Catalan nativity set...how I love it and what sweet memories it brings of shopping in Barcelona near the cathedral each Christmas.
Then my Christmas Pyramid from Germany.  I remember buying this and being so excited.  See the 4 Santas in sleeping bags?  When I bought them, each of them reminded me of one of the children in some way.  Isabella loves them and spent a lot of time telling them good night while putting them in their blankets. 
And the Italian nativity that my parents bought in Sicily when I was 6 years old.  Wow!  It will soon be 60 years old!  When my mother gave it to me our kids were young and she told me that I was to let them play with it because she let me play with it.  I followed her council and it was a favorite during the holidays.  I remember one year when I looked at it to see that the stable was under attack from GI Joes!  Now Isabella can play with it!  Hanging above it is one of the banners my mother made and I've inherited. 
I also inherited this beautiful tablecloth that my Aunt Mary made.  She made it for my mother but now it is mine and I think it is just stunning.  That's my mother's centerpiece on top.
Each sequin is hand sewn and there are many, many sequins.  What a labor of love!  I am so lucky to have it. 
There are some 'new friends' among the old in my nativity collection.  I need more shelves! 
A recent favorite is this one from Kenya.  Love the very typical African tree.
And this one from Madagascar complete with baobab trees and a lemur or two! 

No comments:

Post a Comment