Friday, December 27, 2019

A Man of Many Talents


I collect nativity scenes.  When we are traveling and I find one I love it is so exciting.  I was thrilled then we came across a shop at a market in Budapest that had a wonderful scene.  The shop keeper wrapped every piece in bubble wrap and then carefully placed them in small boxes.  I didn't give it a thought until I opened the box earlier in December.  The first pieces were as adorable as I had remembered them being.  Then I found a sheep with a broken tail.  No problem, that looked easy to fix.  Next was a wiseman with a broken arm, again fixable.  When I unwrapped Mary, I wanted to cry.  She was so broken and there were so many pieces, it looked impossible.  And you can't have a nativity scene without Mary and Jesus!

Enter George with his magnifying glasses and glue! 

A few hours of careful work and voila......My Hungarian nativity is wonderful again!  I love it!  Ceramic repair is one of George's many talents.
Here is my scene from Croatia.

We were just getting on the bus after our walking tour of Vukovar, Croatia when another nativity scene collector told me that a shop about a block away had some really fun scenes.  I knew that we were just about to leave and I am such a rule follower that I couldn't bring myself to defy the guides and run down to the shop.  I pouted all day thinking of 'the one I didn't get'!

That evening though I had a great idea!  Another Fun For Less group was coming UP the Danube the next week and they would make the same stop in Vukovar AND I had friends in that group that were also collectors SO I sent a quick email with photos of the store and the nativity (thanks to the woman who had gotten one there) and a plea to PLEASE purchase one for me.  I promised to send a check for the postage and the nativity.  And they got me one!  This one is special because of the friendships that made it a part of my collection....and I do think it is pretty cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment