Sunday, December 29, 2019

Reading Challenge



I was one of the 4,425,195 people who participated in the Goodreads Reading Challenge this year.

When we lived in Portland I was in two Book Clubs so I read quite a few books.  I haven't gotten involved in a book group yet in Eagle and I must admit that I have LOVED the freedom of reading whatever I wanted.  At the same time I've missed the camaraderie of discussing books with other women, as well as the mental stimulation of reading books that I might not have picked for myself.
I hope to get involved in a group this year.

A few of the books I've enjoyed the most from the 50 I've read:
Who would have guessed that a book about a prostitute, a bank robber and con men would be so entertaining? 
I highly recommend this book which is about family!  It isn't a thriller or a romance and at times seems a bit slow, but it is a wonderfully written and well thought out novel.  The last section, told from the father's point of view is gut-wrenchingly beautiful and ties everything together so well. 
 I loved Britt-Marie and all the characters.  I didn't want this one to end! 
 A really wonderful historical fiction account of both life in Ireland and the life of Irish immigrants to the US. 
The story of Gander, Newfoundland on 9/11 when 38 jumbo jets were grounded there.  The quote sums it up - “This was the very definition of community.  A community bound by faith and common values.” 
Just a terrific story, also set in Ireland.  I loved all the characters! 
This one touched my soul because of my love for Africa.  I have seen the women walk long distances carrying water jugs on their heads.  Thankfully I have no experience with the 'lost boys' or the wars that seem all too common on this continent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment