Wednesday, August 25, 2021

1st Flight in 17 Months

 The last time I was on an airplane was for our exciting trip home from Dubai through Ethiopia in March 2020, right in the early days of the pandemic when no one knew if the US borders would close, if all planes would be grounded....if we'd be stuck in Dubai or Addis Ababa. Never in my adult life have I gone this long without flying somewhere.

Now I have four pandemic flights under my belt with 4 more scheduled in the next few months.  Wearing a mask for so many hours is not my idea of a good time but I am happy to do it in order to travel again.

My first trip was to Portland (only about an hour flight plus time in the airport so probably 4 masked hours) so that I could help our friend Martha after bunion surgery.  I arrived on Monday with surgery scheduled for Tuesday morning.   Just as Martha had finished giving me all the instructions I would need take care of her and of her house, the phone rang.  It was the hospital reporting that for the 1st time in 20 years the doctor had to cancel and reschedule her surgery.  And it was scheduled for the day AFTER I had to leave. Luckily she had another friend coming to take over when I left, so she was still going to be well taken care of.  Change of plans no more surgery or care giving, now it was just a girls' week party and it was great!

I caught up with my walking buddies.  Oh how I miss them!  It seems that we never run out of things to say!


I celebrated my birthday with a delicious brownie and a FaceTime rendition of "Happy Birthday" from George.  

That sweet guy even had flowers delivered to me.

I got a guided tour of Scott's new basement apartment.  It is roomy and well appointed.
I think he is going to be very happy there.
That apartment is at the stables where he works so it's very convenient.  I can report that his horse neighbors are very friendly!

I was thrilled when I found out that the famous Burgerville onion rings were on!  They are only served  when Walla Walla onions are available. Most delicious onion rings I've ever had....made even better by the Garlic Aioli sauce.  Yum Yum! At 750 calories per serving, I hate to admit that I had them twice!  Oh well!
To celebrate my last night there, we ate at one of our favorite Lake Oswego restaurants which is right on the lake.  A wonderful evening with good friends, delicious food and a beautiful sky!  Isn't Martha the cutest???
FYI, I'm going back next week now that she has actually had the surgery.  This time I will be caregiving and not just vacationing!



 








No comments:

Post a Comment