Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Barca in the West Bank

You probably know that our family lives and breathes La Liga soccer but you may not know that the West Bank area in Israel also shares our love of the Spanish soccer league. The evidence of true Barca fans is everywhere.
So strange to be winding my way through the maze of streets in old Jerusalem and come across a store selling Barca gear!
The Palestinians recognize the BEST TEAM IN THE WORLD!
Ok, I'll have to admit there are a few who love Real Madrid!
There are options to support either team but the majority definitely support Barca!
I did see a few Real Madrid posters.
including one on this bus!

At the Garden of Gethsemane I had a nice 'Spanglish' conversation with this Madrid season ticket holder. He also had noticed the abundance of Barcelona fans in the city!
Even though this little boy couldn't speak a word of English and I couldn't speak a word of Hebrew we communicated just fine saying, "Barca!" "Messi!" "Iniesta!" and smiling a lot!
This shop keeper was happy to sell to another Barca fan...although he probably would have been just as happy to sell to a Madrid fan!
Our tour guide got nervous when I took this picture because it is at the security check to go up to the temple mount. He was sure that it wasn't allowed but I'd already asked permission from the soldier. When our tour guide asked him, "Can she take a picture?" the soldier just grinned and put two thumbs up and said, "BARCA!!!!"
I used to say that our boys got along fine in Spain because before they spoke Spanish they spoke soccer. Never thought I'd say the same about myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment