Monday, June 13, 2011

Hezekiah's Tunnel

Quoting from the Bible dictionary - "Hezekiah's tunnel is an elaborate engineering scheme extending about 1770 feet through limestone rock, bringing the waters of Gihon spring inside the walls of Jerusalem to the pool of Siloam. The tunnel was built during the days of Hezekiah, about 702 B.C., as a defense against possible attack from the Assyrian army. Workmen dug from both ends, in a zig-zag course until they met. The tunnel is still in use today."
Today you can wade through the tunnel in water that is about 3 feet deep in places. It was so fun! Here we are at the pool of Siloam after we had made it through!
This lady is my hero. She is 88 years old and kept up with everyone on the trip. I love her "I survived Hezekiah's tunnel shirt". I hope she wears it with pride and I hope I'll have her spunk and energy when I'm in my 80's!

No comments:

Post a Comment