Sunday, June 19, 2011

Daddy and Dads

Last night we went to the Portland Mormon Choir's patriotic concert. One of my favorite numbers was entitled, "Armed Forces- The Pride of America". They sang the anthem of each of the five branches of the US military and as they sang a uniformed members came on stage carrying the appropriate flag. Members of the audience who had served in each of the branches stood to thunderous applause. When they sang, "Anchor's Away" I got a bit misty eyed thinking of my own Daddy who served in the US Navy. So today on Father's Day I salute him. This picture was taken when he was made a Chief Petty Officer. I think it was about 1958.
He died 32 years ago so although I've lived much more of my life without him than with him, he has had an influence on me. We share a love of animals and children. Daddy never met a dog or a child that didn't like him! The children who lived next door would come over to see if he could come out and play! The only one of my own children that he knew was Mary. She was a bit of a fussy baby but he could calm her and get her to sleep better than anyone else. You've heard the saying that goes something like, "Anyone can be a father but it takes a special man to be a Daddy." I was raised by a Daddy!

George's Dad has been another great influence in my life. Even though he has been gone now for 8 years I still think of him often. Every time I buy something that is a bit extravagant I imagine him shaking his head at me. Dad was one of the few people I know who wasn't impressed by 'things' but by serving and creating.
My own children are lucky to have been blessed with their Dad. Like his father he is also an example of quiet service. He just does what needs to be done and does it without fanfare or the need for applause. When George does something you know it will be done very well. He blesses our family every day and I am grateful to be his wife and the mother of his children.
When I started looking for pictures for the blog the first ones I came to are all from the 'Great Lewis Adventure" which was our first European trip in 1996.
Mary and her Dad in Bern, Switzerland
The Lewis boys and the new German hats...Berchtesgaden, Germany.

1 comment: