Sunday, December 30, 2012

December 28 - Reading Challenge

Last year I made a goal to complete the Eclectic Reader challenge.  I haven't done very well submitting book reviews.  To be honest I haven't submitted ANY!  I have read all the different types of books, except for horror.  I don't read horror books or watch horror movies.  They scare me!  So here is a list of the books I read in each genre plus a brief review. 

Literary Fiction               Crossing to Safety               Wallace Stegner
       I absolutely love this book!  It is on my list of all time favorites.  Something about the beautiful way he tells the story of the lifelong friendship of two couples just touches my soul.

Crime/Mystery Fiction      The Only Witness               Pamela Beason
        I enjoyed reading this book although I know that it probably wouldn't be considered 'great literature'.  I have always been fascinated by the great apes who learn to sign and communicate with people so well.  

Romantic Fiction                 The Shoemaker's Wife       Andriana Trigiani
       This is the type of book that I love to read, expecially on an airplane or at the beach.  I am going to steal a line from a Goodreads review that sums it up well, "The old Italian-immigrant-comes-to-America-makes-good-intergenerational-story that your preteen daughter could read and write home from camp about! There are no surprises but it makes you happy and you go to sleep at night with no sad sighs or regrets about what this world is coming to. "

HIstorical Fiction                 Cathedral of the Sea             Ildefonso Falconso
        In order to love this book you have to enjoy reading historical fiction and you have to love Barcelona and want to know more about the history of the city.  And since I do love both and I never tire of learning more about my favorite city in the world, I completely enjoyed reading and picturing the areas of the city that he mentioned.  I learned so so much about medieval Barcelona and the building of the very beautiful Cathedral del Mar!  George read it and enjoyed it too!

Young Adult/Science Fiction    Delirium                        Lauren Oliver
                                                    Pandemonium
           These are the first two books in a trilogy.  The 3rd comes out in March. Since they are youth science fiction and there are two books I decided to count them for both categories.  After reading the Hunger Games series I was curious about these dystopian books and wondered how much I'd like them.  They are definite page turners.  I don't think they were quite as violent as Hunger Games but there is violence, as well as romance.  I am anxious to read the 3rd one! 

Fantasy                                        Entwined                   Heather Dixon
     I am not big fan of fantasy or princess stories but I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It was just sweet and fun with a big of danger and excitement thrown in.  I have to add that I was describing it to one of the teenagers at Girl's Camp and she said, "Oh, I know that story.  It is a Barbie movie."  So keep that in mind if you decide to read it.  It is cute and enjoyable and definitely NOTShakespeare! 

Non Fiction                                  Desert Queen              Janet Wallach

            A detailed account of the life of Gertrude Bell who along with Lawrence of Arabia changed the face of the Middle Ease! Extremely interesting book! There are so many parallels to what is happening in the Middle East today. At times it was a bit repetitious but I learned so much. Anyone who has an interest in the Middle East and in history should enjoy this book. 
           This sentence sums up the book quite well: "Great persons, like great empires, leave their mark on history."

Thriller/Suspense                        Gone Girl                 Gilliam Flynn
           I do believe that this is the only book that I have ever rated one star on Goodreads! Let me first say that this book does draw you in and I found myself wanting to make time to read it. I read it in a couple of days. That said, I also think reading it was as The Chicago Tribune described. It “draws you in and keeps you reading with the force of a pure but nasty addiction". I'm not sure I would use the word pure. I disliked all the main characters. I could not stand the way the characters made fun of midwestern values, of the 'neighborly casseroles' even! I related to Nick's mother as much or more than anyone in the book.....and I really hated all the nasty, crude sexual references. I'm sure I am someone the author would make fun of and that made me uncomfortable but glad at the same time. I don't understand why a book like this is considered 'brilliant' while books like Nicholas Sparks or At Home in Mitford are 'cheesy' and trite. Ok, I'm off my soap box!
The plot takes many twists and turns and you never know what to expect. Just as you think you've figured out the story line things go off in a completely different direction. And the ending...well don't get me started on the ending!

Classic                                       The Hobbit                 J R R Tolkien
Is it kosher to call a book written in 1937 a classic? However it is classified, I am so glad that I read this again before I saw the movie.  It is brilliant and fun and just a wonderful read and this is from a woman who doesn't even really like fantasy all that much!

Book I read just because I like the author so much
                                           The Spectator Bird          Wallace Stegner 
As I mentioned, Crossing to Safety is one of my all time favorite books.  Angle of Repose is right up there on the list also so I decided to read The Spectator Bird. Again I'm going to steal from a review on Goodreads: "For a short book it is multi-layered with the themes of settling into retirement, being part of an old married couple and at some point in your life, you get to decide, as an adult, the course you will take with the full knowledge of the rewards and pitfalls of your choice.  This book captures that white-hot moment when you are confronted with your selection."

I have read 51 books this year...not too bad.  Right now I'm in 3 book clubs so that keeps me reading.  Making a list of the books that I read has been a  good experience.  I enjoy looking back and thinking of all my favorites and where I was when I was reading them. 



No comments:

Post a Comment