Sunday, October 13, 2013

Tokyo #3 Jay Walking

In Japan NO ONE jaywalks.  Notice this intersection.  The streets are narrow and there was no traffic at all.  Yet everyone waited calmly for the walk light to turn green. 
 
Japanese people walk fast and are always in a hurry but they are natural rule followers and don't seem at all irritated by waiting patiently even when it would be perfectly safe to just walk across.  Sometimes it seems that you could crawl across in plenty of time to avoid an accident.
Thinking I was alone at one such intersection, I put one foot in the street while the walk light was red and just happened to notice a policeman on the other side of the street watching me intently.  I quickly repented, yanked my foot back and waited for a full cycle while not one car passed in any direction, avoiding jail I'm sure!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment