Monday, October 14, 2013

Tokyo #5 Toilets, yes toilets!

Japan definitely gets the award for the country with the best toilets.  This little beauty was in our hotel room.
You know it is a fancy toilet when it comes with a control panel!  You could have a bidet or a spray and could control the water pressure.  Best of all the seat is heated!   When you sat down a subtle amount of air freshener automatically sprayed.  These fancy toilets weren't just in hotels either.  They were also in public bathrooms in museums, malls and even in some parks and temples.
Many public restrooms provided disposable towels and antibacterial cleansers for the toilet seat.   A person from Japan visiting in the US is probably horrified at the state of many of our public toilets.
 I walked into one bathroom in a mall and was shocked to see a urinal .  I did a quick double take to be sure I hadn't made a big mistake.  The sign assured me that I was in the 'Ladies' but I couldn't figure out the urinal until I went in the stall. This bathroom is all about being convenient for mothers.  A urinal for little boys who aren't old enough to go in the Mens alone and a small toilet for a small child.  Pretty handy if you ask me.

This large bathroom is on the train!  It is probably 4 times larger than on an airplane and spotlessly clean!
But just so you know you are in another country - there are the occasional 'squatty potties'!  But they are very clean also!

And speaking of urinals (not something I often do), I was sitting on a bench at a park that was directly across from the toilets.  I couldn't figure out why men kept coming out zipping their pants.  Why didn't they take care of that INSIDE the bathrooms?  Then I happened to notice that the urinal was located right by the place where the door could have been, should have been; but wasn't. The men were in plain view the whole time!






2 comments: