Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Tokyo #9 - The Mystery of the 7 Pounds

My friend, Jackie, went to Japan a few months ago to visit her daughter who is teaching English there.  During her two week visit she lost 7 pounds!  She attributed it to the Japanese food and all the walking.  Sounded great to me!  I certainly walked a lot so surely that would equate to weight loss.

Jackie and her daughter probably ate authentic Japanese meals like this one
 From top left that is braised seaweed, seasonal fruit, dried radish with sesame sauce, rolled omelet, sashimi (sliced raw tuna),  braised soy bean fiber,  braised vegetable, seasonal vegetable salad, and fried chicken (one very small piece of fried chicken). It was a great meal! Japanese eat like this for lunch....and there are NO fat Japanese!  All of us Americans wondered when they were bringing us our dessert!  It's right there on the plate - fruit!

I ate other typical Japanese food on other nights, like this very delicious Udon Noodle soup.  We loved it!


One morning I joined the line of school children sampling these little deep fried treats filled with sweet, red bean paste.  Very unusual flavor but quite enjoyable! 


So I did eat like a native some of the time!  Unfortunately I discovered that the vending machines had my favorite Dr. Pepper.  Perfect little pick me up after walking for miles and miles!

And the mall by our hotel had a Mr. Doughnut shop.  Don't really think this fat lady cut out was that great of an advertisement for eating doughnuts!  I only went there once.
My real downfall was finding this cute little French bakery also in the mall by our hotel.  Every morning it was packed with skinny Japanese buying sandwiches and pastry so I joined the group.  Actually I went there almost every morning and got my breakfast and my lunch.  I don't even eat at the bakeries in France but this place just called my name every day!
I guess there is no mystery as to why I didn't loose 7 pounds.  It probably is a good thing that I didn't gain 7 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment