Saturday, November 12, 2016

Gratitude #6 - Freedom

I am grateful for all those who have served our country in the military to keep us free and to keep other countries free as well.
Daddy served in the navy during World War II and then went on to make the navy his first career.  For the first years of my life we lived in various places in the northeast near navy bases until our move overseas.  The only two places I remember living are Bainbridge, Maryland and Sigonella, Sicily.  I attribute my love of travel to those years living in Sicily.

When I was in 3rd grade he retired, we moved to Lonoke and he started working at Jacksonville Air Force Base.  I am grateful for the opportunity I had to see his service to our country.

Three of my uncles also served in the military, including one who was taken prisoner at the Battle of the Bulge.  Thanks to them also.

My cousin just shared this story about her grandpa in World War II.

I remember one of my favorite stories about my Grandpa Boyle. He was a turret gunner during WW2. He was preparing his rear turret gun before a mission. Because of the location of the gun under the back of the plane, he could work on it while standing on the ground outside of the plane. He was very frustrated because he couldn't get a pin to go in the gun and heard a voice behind him ask, "Are you having trouble with your gun?" Without turning around, grandpa said something smart like "What do you think I'm doing?" (when my mother told this story she said that he actually laced his answer with a few colorful words that I won't put in my blog!!!) He finally got the part fixed and walk to the front of the plane and saw everyone standing at attention. He said that he then turned around and General Eisenhower came up to him and said, "So did you get the gun fixed?"

No comments:

Post a Comment